Let go of that bitterness and anger, the end of year is at hand. It’s the time that we all like to hit the reset button and get a fresh start on life. Many are willing to forgive themselves for those bad living habits of the past and find a new lifestyle.

All sorts of resolutions are being crafted right now, mainly forgiving ourselves for our past behavior. But it takes more than resolutions to change your life; it takes a strong commitment and action.

While resolving to forgive ourselves and move on with life, why not resolve to forgive those who have offended, insulted and hell, out right pissed us off?

You know who they are. They are the friends, co-workers, associates and yes, even our own family members who raised our temperatures considerably during the recent past. By the way, if it’s not recent you should have moved on already anyhow.

During the holiday season we’ve both given and received many great gifts. But have we given one of the greatest gifts of all, forgiveness? There is tremendous power in that one. Forgiving regains a part of our souls and sets us free.

Think of the Future

Until such time that we forgive we are simply harboring resentment, a negative energy. We are holding on to our bruised egos and hurt feelings, but why? The deed has been done and it’s time to move on with life.

I thought you wanted a fresh start. Is it really a fresh start if we drag along old baggage?

Failing to forgive means that any and every time we come into close proximity with the offender, we have to work harder instead of being our natural selves. We’ll waste energy on creating avoidance and limiting tactics or put on that false face, acting as if the past doesn’t matter. Once we forgive, the past truly doesn’t matter because we’ve moved on.

To find true liberation from the circumstance, you must forgive and forget about the past. Focus on what really matters, the rest of your life and your life’s work.

Keep things in perspective and recognize that the past is just that. There is nothing you can do to rewrite the past but there is much you can do to create your future.

So what’s holding you back from forgiving?

You cannot allow someone else to hold a negative power over you and what you are trying going to accomplish in life. If you believe that things happen for a reason, in this case let the reason be that you were tested. But unlike most of us, you have learned to pass the test by letting go. There is no score to settle, no revenge to extract because while doing so, you are placing your future on hold.

Here’s what you need to do, right now.

Find the nearest mirror, look that person in the eye, and resolve to move on, forgiving the negativity of the past and forgetting about getting even.

Forgive and forget.

Two steps to freedom.

How will you move forward from negativity?

Stay Productive, my friends!

Stay updated! Grab the RSS Feed for this site so you don’t miss a single post. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Did you like this post? <> Please Share it:

10 Responses to Forgive and Forget – Time to Move on With Life

1. Gordie says:

Nicely put and very timely for all of use, Jimi.

Forgiveness is selfish and very good for us as well as others. I ask all people to forgive. It’s good for you.
    Gordie´s last blog post ..Personal Development X Officially Launches And I’m Back Blogging

2. Dandy says:

Great post Jimi. I’ve seen my own family members hold grudges for over 60 years and they don’t even remember why. What a waste of possible wonderful memories they could have had! For every grudge someone holds onto there is the loss of potential happiness. There have been times in my life where I could have held onto the bitterness and betrayal I’ve had, but it would only turning my life over to the betrayer. I choose happiness and laughter for my life! Thanks for all the wonderful posts you’ve written in 2010 Jimi! I’m so happy I found your blog! I hope you and your family has a wonderful 2011. Take care!

~Dandy
    Dandy´s last blog post ..The Highly Sensitive Person Part 2

• Jimi Jones says:

Hi Dandy.

There are those who just cannot let go of an old grudge no matter what, and I agree, it is such a wasted opportunity to do something positive. No family has escaped this fate, as we all have someone who just thrives on negativity.

Your choice of happiness and laughter is best, let someone else corner the market on bitterness.

At my angriest of times, I was never willing to hold onto that for long, just goes against my grain.

Have a great New year, Dandy. I’m happy to have you as a friend and I hope this coming year brings us all great success. :-)
      Jimi Jones´s last blog post ..The Sunday Seven Weekly

3. Steve Youngs says:

Hey, Jimi!

In a word… WOW!

A lot of people have huge problems with forgiveness. But that is because they look at it the wrong way. Forgiveness has very little to do with the person you are forgiving, and everything to do with yourself. It’s like a key that unlocks a trap door in your soul to let out all the rubbish.

Thank you so much for writing this article, Jimi, it was very inspirational.

Hope you have an awesome 2011!
    Kind regards,
    Steve
    Steve Youngs´s last blog post ..A Personal Message Of Thanks

• Jimi Jones says:

Happy New Year, Steve!

You have summed it up quite well with your comment. It is not necessary for the person to prove or convince that they should be forgiven, the power to do so is within us. We should simply free ourselves and get on with life, harboring no negative feelings. Yes, it can be very difficult to do at times, but we have to somehow make it happen in order to remain in control of our thoughts and direction.

Wishing you a great 2011!
      Jimi Jones´s last blog post ..Achieving Work Life Balance

4. Xavier says:

Great post! The difficulty with forgiving someone is so hard, but there seems to be peace. I really enjoy your insight on this. I’d love to read more on this topic.

I recently stumbled upon another blog like I stumbled upon yours and I really appreciated their insihgt. I thought you might enjoy it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/forgiveness/

I’d love to see more like it. Thanks!

5. Hey Jimi – I agree completely, but actually doing it is a whole other issue! I am a huge believer in the proverbial “clean slate” for so many different reasons. I have resolutions and goals for my fitness, business, and relationships. But I honestly never thought about forgiving. Thanks for giving me something else to think about!

Happy new year!
    Susan@Home Workouts´s last blog post ..Grilled Pork Tenderloin With Rosemary-Mustard Rub

• Jimi Jones says:

Hi Susan.

It’s important to move on with life and free ourselves from negative situations, who needs them? Easier said than done at times, but it’s a must.

Thanks for coming by to visit, it’s good to see you. :-)
      I have to come by and check out some of your post for the new year.
      Jimi Jones´s last blog post ..How to Follow Through on Your Goals