Having reached the end of the holiday season, the time has arrived to follow through on all of those resolutions, promises and goals you have committed to accomplishing. “Next year” has arrived and it’s time to take action.
Will this year be different than the others, where most of these things have faded from memory in a matter of weeks?
To increase the chances of success let’s review some tips and advice.
1. Have a written plan. – First things first, in order to follow through on your goals you have to create a plan and no plan seems to survive our memories for very long so write everything down. You’ve likely heard this advice many times and for good reason. It works!
We can think it all out, covering every conceivable angle, but when it comes time to execute there is always something that escapes us. Writing things out provides us with a solid guide to follow while reinforcing our thoughts so we don’t forget important elements.
2. Review your repeat goals. – If you have goals that are being repeated because they were not met, review the process and determine where things went wrong to avoid the same results. Addressing the downfalls of the past allows you to complete the goal once and for all.
3. Don’t take on too much. – Avoid setting yourself up for failure by taking on too many goals at once. It is easy to become overwhelmed and discouraged when you cannot successfully manage all that you want to, resulting in little if anything being accomplished.
Focus on one or two goals and see them through before moving on to others.
4. Review your plan and monitor your progress - Place your plan in a place where you can see it daily, preferably first thing in the morning. This serves as a great reminder and places a priority on the plan. Monitor your progress to stay on-track while keeping detailed notes of everything.
5. Consistently take action – This is where things often break down. The key to successfully reaching any goal is in taking consistent action. Whether you decide to do this daily or every other day, the important thing to remember is consistency. Following a haphazard schedule will get you nowhere near completion because you’ve made the goal a task of convenience.
You cannot work on this when it’s convenient to do so, or work 3 days then wait a week before doing more, that’s what we do with hobbies.
6. Stay inspired by focusing on the end results. – As we work our plan we sometimes second guess ourselves and wonder if what we are doing is really worth the effort. Focusing on the end results and rewards can serve as a great source of inspiration.
Make those goals a reality by creating a plan, taking continual action and applying the proper follow through. With an eye toward the results, you’ll soon possess the ability to successfully obtain your dreams. Keeping yourself motivated makes the task so much easier.
Care to share your thoughts?
Please do so in the comments below.
Sorry. No data so far.